Come be a part of a growing creative team reinventing the orchestra for the 21st century.
HFO is an equal opportunity employer.
We are looking for…
The Heartland Festival Orchestra (HFO) seeks a motivated, self-starting Business Manager who will serve as the heart of our business office. HFO is a unique and innovative orchestra composed of the finest professional musicians of Central Illinois. This position offers the chance to make a real impact on Peoria and the Central Illinois cultural communities.
The Business Manager (manager) coordinates the business activities of the HFO and serves as an important member of the management team. This is a full-time, salaried position. Time commitments include office hours, 12 board of directors meetings, 6 Saturday concert weekends, a Nutcracker weekend, a Summer Serenade concert, and approximately a dozen fundraisers or patron events per year. The manager reports to the Artistic Director of the Orchestra, David Commanday, who will provide job oversight, write performance reviews, and negotiate a specific and moderately flexible work schedule. The manager also works with Directors and Board Committee members in the fulfillment of their various roles and responsibilities. The manager will direct and supervise office staff as engaged (assistants, interns, and/or volunteers).
Basic Skills Required
• Strong written and oral communication skills, demonstrating fluency and comfort in using traditional as well as new communication platforms
• Self-starting initiative, good organization skills, and strong attention to detail
• Temperament and ability to foster optimal relationships within the HFO team
• Ability to successfully connect and communicate with all generations of patrons and stakeholders
• Strong accounting skills and capable use of QuickBooks Online to monitor and report on budget performance
• Ability to learn and use software systems relevant to HFO operations (e.g. ticketing software, CRM software to build and maintain customer database)
• Time flexibility to accommodate e-mail and/or phone communications on weekends if and when time-sensitive tasks require
The manager’s primary role and chief responsibility is to develop an overview of the HFO’s business operations, and organize and execute those operations with the assistance of appropriate HFO team members. Primary areas of responsibility include:
• Manage and track financial activity of the organization
• Prepare monthly and event reports
• Create and execute approved contracts
• File required governmental and tax documents prior to deadlines
• Handle internal and external communications in a timely manner – including phone, e-mail, text, and social media platforms
• Manage services for audience and donors, including ticketing and contributions
• Appear and speak publicly on behalf of HFO when needed
• Participate in marketing efforts for subscription and individual ticket sales.
• Co-lead and coordinate with HFO Team on fundraising activities
• Develop, expand, and maintain donor and patron database
• Update and maintain filing and records retention systems
• Coordinate and supervise staff and volunteers as needed
• Coordinate communication among internal team (board, committees, staff, volunteers)
• Write grant requests to private foundations and government agencies
• Lead on the solicitation and renewal of advertising for the concert programs
Salary range $35,000 - $45,000, depending on qualifications and experience.
How to apply
Submit a letter of interest and a focused resume to the HFO Business Manager Search Committee, Gene Sweeney, Chair, at email@example.com. The e-mail subject title should read:
[Applicant’s last name] - HFO Manager Search
Application Deadline: July 12, 2019